Last night I went on a Missing Money Treasure Hunt Bender! Every January I search the Unclaimed Funds sites for cash that never got to me.
I only found one check for me – for a penny! I found four checks for my family.
This was unsatisfying. I love finding money whether it’s a big score online or $10 in an old coat pocket.
This year, I decided to plug in names of friends and neighbors. Quickly, I was on a roll! After two hours, I had uncovered $8,394.00 for 40 friends and neighbors. I had a blast emailing screen shots with the good news.
The biggest score was my old roomy’s deceased father’s $3,500+. A poker buddy had $1,373 waiting. Some other big chunks were $852, $674, $487 and $339.
As for my one cent windfall, it took me a minute to fill in my contact info. My eClaim was approved, so I did not have to put a 49 cent stamp on an envelope to get my penny.
Because I track like a Navajo bloodhound, in previous years I came across something for my dad, a couple pension payments for my mom, and some dividend from some railroad thing that was my grandfather’s. Give these free sites a whirl:
- Unclaimed.org– State-by-state unclaimed property listings
- MissingMoney.com– State and provincial
- PBGC.gov– Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (U.S. Government Agency)
- TreasuryDirect.gov– Treasury Hunt
- USA.gov– A slew of various categories of unclaimed government money, from bank failures, unclaimed property, credit unions, benefits, pensions, HUD/FHA mortgage refunds and more.
Lemme know if you find any gold in them thar hills!