MoviePass is the very awesome $10 per month service that lets you see one movie per day in theatres. I wouldda sworn I already wrote about this. But… NOPE! I must’ve dreamt that I wrote about it. This sorta thing has happened before.
I once dreamt that Lovin’ Spoonful lead singer John Sebastian died. I remembered seeing Mary Hart break the sad news to me on Entertainment Tonight. I shared the news of his passing with my buddies at a poker game. They looked at me like I was crazy. I was so certain that I bet four of them $20 apiece. My very creative subconscious cost me $80. I digress…
In a nutshell, MoviePass lets you can see as many movies as you like – one per day – for MoviePass’ rate of $9.95 per month. Nick Vega at Business Insider drills deep on how it works (click here). In short:
- Sign up for free at MoviePass.com
- It works at 91% of theatres in the country including chains like AMC & Regal as well as independent theatres. Click here to see what theatres accept it near you. Download the MoviePass app to get this info a well.
- You can only use MoviePass to get one ticket. So you and your significant other should get your own MoviePass cards.
- No Blackout dates. Use it to see big movies like “Battle Of The Sexes” on opening night.
- MoviePass does not allow you to see the same movie more than once. So if you were taken by the nuanced performance of the actor playing ABC Sports President Roone Arledge in “Battle Of The Sexes”, you’d have to get a MoviePass ticket to another movie and sneak in to marinate in his glory. Although that is cheating and you should pay full freight to see “Battle Of The Sexes” as often as you can.
- MoviePass is connected to your smartphone, so you couldn’t give your card to someone else unless you gave them your tele as well.
- MoviePass requires you be within 100 yards of the theater (using the GPS on your phone) to check into a screening. If you wanna buy a ticket in advance, you need to go to the theater early.
That last bullet point may not work for everyone. I choose to believe that people aren’t boo-ing they’re simply chanting “Roone!”
MoviePass is only $10/month. Here in Hollywood, that means a movie a month makes it worth it.
Speaking of Roone… yes, I played him in a couple scenes in “Battle of the Sexes” movie. It stars Emma Stone as Billie Jean King, Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs and ChipsMoneyTips as Roone Arledge. I get all up in Emma’s business for trying to pull out of the event the night before the match – after I have paid $750K for the rights! That’s a Roone Money Tip.
Here’s a still from the movie with Bobby Riggs (Steve Carell), Roone Arledge (Chip Chinery) and Jerry Perenchio (Tim Ransom):