New Year’s To Do List: #1 – Putting “FUN” in Unclaimed Funds!
There are billions of dollars in unclaimed funds in the US. Well, billions minus $59 that my recent annual perusal found waiting for me from Home Depot.
Because I track like a Navajo bloodhound, in previous years I came across something for my dad, a couple pension payments for my mom, and some dividend from some railroad thingy that was my grandfather’s.
This year I found over $500 waiting for family members. But will they get it? Well, they didn’t get it LAST YEAR WHEN I TOLD THEM ABOUT IT!!! But when you think about it, who has time to fill out a form to get $500 when you’re experiencing a Cute Emergency?
Give these free sites a whirl. I hope you find some gold in them thar hills!
- MissingMoney.com – state and provincial
- Unclaimed.org – State-by-state unclaimed property listings
- PBGC.gov – Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (U.S. Government Agency)
- TreasuryDirect.gov – Treasury Hunt
- USA.gov – A slew of various categories of unclaimed government money, from bank failures, unclaimed property, credit unions, benefits, pensions, HUD/FHA mortgage refunds and more.