Every January, my annual “To Do” list pops up in my calendar. I simply set it and forget it, like on the Ron Popeil Showtime Rotisserie infomercial.
First up: Check for unclaimed funds. There are billions of dollars in unclaimed funds in the US. Well, billions minus $59. My annual clicking just found $59 waiting for me from Home Depot.
As you may have gleaned from this site, I am an organization freak who occasionally dips his big toe in the pool of OCD. This $59 was a surprise to me. All I can figure is that I got a rebate from a 2009 rehab project of my rental properties and Home Depot didn’t know how to contact me. To quote Lord Jerry Maguire Tennyson, “Ours is not to reason why. Show me the money!”
Because I track like a Navajo bloodhound, in previous years I came across something for my dad, a couple pension payments for my mom, and some dividend from some railroad thing that was my grandfather’s. Give these free sites a whirl:
- Unclaimed.org – State-by-state unclaimed property listings
- MissingMoney.com – state and provincial
- PBGC.gov – Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (U.S. Government Agency)
- TreasuryDirect.gov – Treasury Hunt
- USA.gov – A slew of various categories of unclaimed government money, from bank failures, unclaimed property, credit unions, benefits, pensions, HUD/FHA mortgage refunds and more.
Lemme know if you find any gold in them thar hills!